Well, it's been over a month now since a real post, so I thought I would take a few minutes to update on what we've been up to the past few weeks.
Here's a quick rundown of our last month:
- I started tutoring two afternoons/week at a local elementary school in December. I have mostly been working with 3 kindergarteners and one 1st grader--all boys--in reading and math. This has kept me busy, and I am thankful for Mom for keeping EB during this time.
- In January, I started teaching 3 homeschool students--all boys and brothers--Spanish! I have really enjoyed this new job! The boys are really well behaved and seem to be enjoying our lessons so far. Will and I met their parents while visiting churches. I teach at their house twice/week--right before I go to the elementary school to tutor.
- One of my New Year's goals was to e-mail my former editor to tell him I'm back in the area and interested in freelance writing. I was a little nervous about doing this since I hadn't written in so long, but I was pleasantly surprised when he quickly wrote back and offered me a job! We did not feel a full-time job was in the best interest for our family (EB is my full-time job!), but I have been freelancing for the Herald Weekly, the University City Weekly, and the Mt. Island Weekly--all North Charlotte area papers--ever since my contact with my editor. I've written several school news features, a business feature, and a human interest feature on a candlelight vigil commemorating the anniversary of Dale Earnhardt's death. I have truly enjoyed this transition back into journalism.
- The three of us spent a weekend with my parents when a "big" snowstorm hit. We planned to get "stuck" because I really wanted to enjoy the beauty of the snow on their 6 acres instead of from our view of the townhouse parking lot. We stayed with my parents for 3 nights, enjoying the warmth of their woodstove, the taste of homemade soups and chili, and, of course, the pleasure of their company.
- Will and I traveled to Rome, Georgia for a marriage retreat with our church two weekends ago. This was a refreshing time of time together and teaching on God's plan for marriage.
- Mom and I have been attending Beth Moore's Esther Bible study at a local church that hosts community Bible studies for women from all different churches. The program offers an excellent nursery, and Emma Brooke has enjoyed making new friends there.
- Emma Brooke and I occasionally attend storytime at the library, which she absolutely loves.
- Emma Brooke and I are still attending a weekly playgroup for Hispanic moms and children.
- I finished reading Sink Reflections and Choosing Forgiveness. Reviews to come soon!
- I finished my quilting class, but I haven't finished my quilt. I need to carve out time to go to the store to get the ladies to help me. I have a one-day binding class to attend in April. I haven't had a lot of time to sew in the last month, which is sad, but I'm hoping to carve out some time soon!